Non-Invasive Pain Relief
Biologics, or the use of specialized cells to stimulate the patient healing process, is fast becoming the future of orthopaedics. At Kayal Orthopaedic Center, our surgical team uses advanced biomaterials to relieve pain, reduce inflammation and restore joint mobility in a variety of orthopedic conditions.
Dr. Robert A. Kayal, MD has been using these non-operative injection treatments for over 14 years with great success. During your brief appointment, a Kayal Orthopaedic Center surgeon injects medication directly into the painful joint region. Unlike medications that are distributed throughout the body, injections provide localized, directed joint relief.
Viscoelastic supplementation, steroid supplementation and corticosteroid injections are advanced treatment options for patients whose joint pain and immobility do not improve significantly with physical therapy and oral medication. There are two common injection types:
- Corticosteroid injections provide a fast-acting anti-inflammatory result, and injections may include a local anesthetic to numb the area until the steroid begins to work.
- Viscoelastic supplementation injections are made of a natural lubricant found in joint fluid. When injected it helps to absorb shock and allows joints to glide better. These medications may be used to manage osteoarthritis, accelerate soft-tissue healing and encourage tissue regeneration.
Viscoelastic Supplementation Treatments
Viscoelastic supplementation and steroid supplementation are considered safe for most patients, regardless of age and condition. Your New Jersey orthopedic surgeon will determine whether injections are a viable treatment option for your individual case.
Depending upon your condition, our renowned team of orthopedists recommends the viscosupplementation formula that will provide optimal relief from pain and immobility.
What are Viscosupplements?
Viscoelastic supplementation is considered non-surgical—and is not a “medication.” Instead, it is a biologic treatment used to supplement the body’s own cell activity. Viscosupplements are made from hyaluronan: a natural chemical found in healthy human tissue and in joint fluid. Patients suffering from osteoarthritis do not produce high-quality hyaluronan, and viscoelastic supplementation replaces the knee’s diseased synovial fluid. Potential treatment formulations include:
- SYNVISC®, Supartz® and Hyalgen®: Used primarily to treat osteoarthritis pain in the knee, SYNVISC, Supartz and Hyalgen are viscous fluids made from heavy molecular weight hyaluronan. Requiring three injections in a series, these treatments work to restore lubrication and shock absorption to the joint for several months at a time. The products are purified versions of hyaluronan, which is extracted from the connective tissue in rooster combs. Some patients may be allergic to avian proteins, and in those cases another form of supplementation may be recommended.
- Synvisc-One®: Indicated for osteoarthritis pain in knees and other joints, as well, Synvisc-One is a newer, single-dose version of the original SYNVISC.
- Orthovisc and Euflexxa: Orthovisc® and Euflexxa® are hyaluronan treatments comprised of non-avian proteins. Like SYNOVISC and Supartz, they are used to treat arthritis pain and deterioration by lubricating joints and restoring joint glide. These formulas are a good option for patients suffering from allergies to poultry and poultry products.
Schedule Your Osteoarthritis Consultation Today!
If you suffer from osteoarthritis, but have had limited success with traditional therapy and medication treatments, you may be an ideal candidate for viscoelastic supplementation or steroid supplementation. To begin enjoying non-invasive pain relief today, schedule an appointment at our Ridgewood or Franklin Lakes offices or call 201-447-3880 to speak with a member of our friendly team