Theresa Ronna, DPM
Bergen County podiatrist Dr. Theresa Ronna was raised in Passaic County, and aspired to be a professional dancer. She initially attended Montclair State University as a dance major, but realized that she needed a back-up plan. Dr. Ronna’s love for science and interest in sports medicine changed her direction to pre-med.
Graduating in 1990, Dr. Ronna attended Columbia University as a graduate student while embarking on a rare opportunity to work at Robert DeNiro’s Tribeca Film Center. In 1992, she attended the NY College of Podiatric Medicine, where she exceled in sports medicine and launched a peer-reviewed journal: The Podiatric Medical Review. Completing her degree in 1996, she undertook a surgical residency at United Hospital/Roseland Surgical Center.
After residency completion, Dr. Ronna spent three years at Naval Hospital Camp Lejuene in North Carolina. There, she treated Marines and sailors by putting her knowledge of lower extremity biomechanics and sports medicine into practice. During her stay at Camp Lejuene, Dr. Ronna was awarded the highest civilian honor—the Naval Commendation Award—for her podiatric work.
After her residency, Dr. Ronna began a part-time practice with geriatric patients. Expanding to offer diabetic wound care, she treated patients with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Currently, Dr. Ronna is a consultant podiatrist at the Christian Health Care Center and Preakness Health Care Center. She is also on staff at St. Joseph’s Wayne Hospital, Patient Care Associates and Chilton’s West Parkway Ambulatory Surgical Center.
Dr. Ronna has trained with several sports medicine pioneers. She received a stipend from Harvard Medical School to attend their summer research program, and was published as a result of her work. Dr. Ronna also completed an internship with Dr. Lyle Mikali, orthopedic surgeon, dance medicine expert and Harvard Medical School professor. She spent two subsequent years in clinical observation with William Hamilton, MD, world-renowned orthopedic surgeon and the father of dance medicine.
Dr. Ronna has been part of the NYC marathon medical team for several years, and has provided care at the pre-Olympic games, Fourth All African games in Nairobi, Kenya, World Games in Rome, and the Can-Am Rugby tournament in Lake Placid. She currently resides in Bergen County with her two young boys, and is excited to be a part of Dr. Robert A. Kayal’s Bergen County NJ orthopedic team.
- Roseland Surgical Center/United Hospital Center; Roseland, NJ 8/96-8/97
- Podiatric Surgery Residency Program, completed 8/97
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine; New York, NY 9/92-5/96
- Doctorate of Podiatric Medicine, received 5/96
- Columbia University; New York, NY 9/91-5/92
- Graduate degree in Biology, received 5/92
- Montclair State University; Montclair, NJ 9/87-5/91
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Cum Laude, received 5/91
- Clove Lakes Rehabilitation; Staten Island, NY 9/09-present. Consultant Podiatrist.
- St Joseph’s Wayne Hospital; Wayne, NJ, 2/07-present. Attending Podiatrist.
- Christian Health Care Center; Wyckoff, NJ. 2/05-present. Consultant Podiatrist Ramapo Ridge Psychiatric Hospital. Specializing in wound care and Alzheimer’s with dementia patients.
- Holland Christian Home; North Haledon, NJ. 2/05-present. Consultant Podiatrist.
- Preakness Healthcare Center; Wayne, NJ. 2/05-present. Consultant Podiatrist.
- St. Vincent Nursing Home; Cedar Grove, NJ. 2/05-present. Consultant Podiatrist.
- Terri Ronna, DPM; Wyckoff, NJ and Totowa, NJ 5/03-9/10. Private practice.
- Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune. Jacksonville, NC. 2/98-3/00. Attending Podiatric Physician and Surgeon. Provided lectures to US Navy medical personnel.
- Alan Shier, DPM; Little Falls, NJ. 12/92-8/97.
Clinical assistant. Assisted in office procedures, evaluated patients, and obtained lower extremity history and physicals.
- Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation; West Orange, NJ 5/91-5/92. Research assistant.
- Bloomfield College; Bloomfield, NJ 9/91-12/91.
Adjunct faculty member. Instructed the biology 101 laboratory course.
- Harvard Medical School; Boston, MA 5/89-8/89.
Developed patient satisfaction surveys for post mastectomy patients. Developed and assessed survey of pharmacist knowledge of AIDS prevention. Research assistant on “Comparative Treatments of Chondromalacia Patella.”
- Elizabeth General Medical Center; Elizabeth, NJ 9/88-9/89. Research assistant.
- John Prignano, DPM, Terri Ronna, DPM and Clifford Givertz, MD. “New Trends in Perioperative Anesthesia.” Published in Advances in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Mosby’s Year Book, Inc. Vol. 3 (1996).
- Terri Ronna, BS and Mark Lebwohl, MD. “Cimetidine Treatment for Plantar Warts: A Review and Case Study.” Published in JAPMA, Vol. 85 (Number 11) (11/95).
- Terri Ronna, BS.”The Biomechanical Changes to the Diabetic Foot.” Published in The Podiatric Medical Review, the official student journal of NYCPM, Vol. I (Number 1) (6/95).
- Paul Cleary, PhD, Terri Ronna, BS and Michelle Costanzo, BS. “Pharmacist Knowledge of AIDS Prevention.” Harvard Medical School, 1989. Published in American Journal of Public Health, Vol. 80 (Number 11) (11/90).
- Dennis Sandrock, PhD and Terri Ronna, BS. “Impaired Visual Memory of the WMS-R in Affective Disorders: Correlates of Right Hemisphere Dysfunction.” Accepted for poster presentation at the National Academy of Neurophysiologist conference in Washington, DC (1989).
- John McNernery, DPM, Podiatric Surgeon and Sports Medicine Specialist; Westwood, NJ (7/95).
- Lyle Micheli, MD, Orthopedic Surgeon, Sports Medicine Specialist. Children’s Hospital; Boston, MA (8/89).
- William Hamilton, MD, Orthopedic Surgeon Dance Medicine Specialist. Miller Health Care Institute for the Performing Arts; New York, NY (9/89-5/90).
- “Podiatric Medical Review,” the official student journal of NYCPM; Editor-in-Chief (1994-1995).
- NYCPM Student Chapter of the American Podiatric Medical Writers Association; President (1994-1995).
- NYCP Chapter of the Christian Medical and Dental Society; President (1993-1999).
- Student Chapter of the American College of Podiatric Sports Medicine; Events Coordinator (1994-1995).
- Christian Medical and Dental Association; Surgical Team Assistant during short-term mission trip to Macas, Ecuador (9/95).
- The New York City Marathon; Student Medical Assistant (1992, 1993, and 1994).
- New York City March of Dimes Walk-A-Thon; Student Medical Assistant (1993).
- The Fourth AH-African Games; Nairobi Kenya; Clinical Assistant for Team Physicians (1987).
- The World Games; Rome, Italy; Clinical Assistant for Team Physicians (1987).
- The Can Am National Rugby Tournament; Lake Placid, NY. Clinical Assistant for Team (1986).
- Letter of Commendation from Commanding General, Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune (5/99).
- Certificate of Recognition from Onslow County Council for Women (3/00).
- American Podiatric Medical Writers Award (1996).