Customized Knee Replacement with Patient Specific Instruments
Specializing in partial and total joint surgery, NJ orthopedic surgeon Dr. Robert A. Kayal is the regional pioneer of yet another cutting-edge advancement in knee replacement surgery: Zimmer® Patient Specific Instrumented (PSI) computer-assisted navigation technology using the Zimmer’s® most advanced Persona® knee replacement implants. Available to patients in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris and Passaic Counties, PSI is the next generation in high-fidelity knee replacement. This new technology allows the joint to be custom-fitted to your anatomy, which speeds rehabilitation and optimizes surgical outcomes.
PSI begins with painless MRI imaging and pre-operative planning tools that result in a 3-dimensional model of the knee joint. Accurately depicting the unique properties of your knee, the model becomes a precise surgical tool that guides bone cutting, joint alignment, pin insertion and custom instrumentation. Essentially, PSI technology allows surgeons to perform a virtual knee replacement in advance of your surgery—and replace your damaged joint with a new knee designed specifically for your body and lifestyle!
A regional pioneer of this progressive implant procedure, Dr. Kayal performs PSI surgery exclusively at Chilton Hospital. Paired with proven, minimally invasive surgical techniques, PSI offers a number of benefits over traditional knee replacement surgery.
Kayal Orthopaedic Center’s MRI-based knee replacement advantages include:
- Alignment accuracy: PSI improves knee implant fit and maximizes joint stability.
- Minimal invasiveness: PSI knee replacement involves less bone cutting than traditional knee replacement surgery.
- Expedited surgery: Pre-planning helps to reduce time in surgery and can hasten post-surgical recovery.
- True customization: Just like your favorite suit, your knee joint is tailor-made for you!
Learn more about MRI-based joint replacement technologies:
- Click here to download literature.
- Click here to watch a video.
- Click here to listen to an informative radio interview about the procedure.
- Click here to read our press release about customized knee replacement.
- Click here to read Chilton Hospital’s press release quoting Dr. Kayal on the benefits of personalized knee replacement.
To schedule a consultation to discuss your debilitating knee pain, contact our Ridgewood, NJ or Franklin Lakes, NJ offices today. We look forward to partnering with you on the road to improved orthopaedic health!