Dr. Robert J. Daher, MD
A Bergen County sports medicine specialist, Dr. Robert Daher received his summa cum laude BS from Binghamton University, where he majored in Psychobiology. Awarded the top male scholar athlete award in college, he received his 2005 MD degree from the State University of New York, Upstate Medical University in Syracuse.
After completing his internship at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, Dr. Daher finished his North Shore-LIJ Medical Center orthopedic residency and a subsequent one-year fellowship in sports medicine at NYU’s Hospital for Joint Diseases.
As a former Division I athletic competitor, Dr. Daher has a keen understanding of high-caliber athletic performance. During fellowship training, he worked closely with the head team physician for the New York Rangers, and treated members of NYU’s collegiate sports teams. Dr. Daher also spent time covering performances for the Alvin Ailey professional dance company.
A compassionate, competent surgeon, Dr. Daher’s primary focus is treating each patient as an individual and not an “individual injury.” He has extensive training in the latest arthroscopy and open procedure techniques, and embraces an approach that involves conservative and non-operative orthopedic treatment. Dr. Daher is also skilled in treating fractures, and performs joint replacement surgery of the shoulder, knee, and hip.
Dr. Daher is particularly interested ligament reconstruction, innovative cartilage regeneration/preservation procedures, and tendon repair. His research has led him to present at both national and international conferences, and his expertise has resulted high-impact journal publication. Journals include Journal of Hand Surgery, Nature, and The International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine.
SPECIALTY: Orthopaedic Surgery
- Binghamton University 2001, Binghamton, NY
- State University of New York
- BS Psychobiology
- Summa Cum Laude
- Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 2005
- State University of New York
- Doctor of Medicine
- Internship in Department of General Surgery, New York-Presbyterian Hospital; Weill Cornell Medical Center 2006
- Resident in Orthopaedic Surgery, North Shore – Long Island Jewish Health System, 2011
- Fellowship in Orthopaedic Surgery – NYU/Hospital for Joint Diseases, Division of Sports Medicine 2012
- New York: 2007
- New Jersey: 2012
- Research Assistant (2004): Evaluation of chemical and thermal methods used to accelerate the polymerization process of bone cement used for cemented arthroplasty. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
- Research Assistant (2001): Identify cognitive factors associated with memory function, factors associated with memory distortion, and factors influencing memory recall.Department of Psychology, Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY
HONORS & AWARDS
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand: Best Poster Presentation (Annual Meeting – 2010)
- Eastern Orthopaedics Association: Resident/Fellow Paper Award (Annual Meeting – 2009)
- Upstate Medical University, State University of New York: Dean’s Letter of Commendation for outstanding academic Performance (2002)
- Upstate Medical University, State University of New York: Rheumatology Preceptorship: Scholarship Recipient (2002)
- Upstate Medical University, State University of New York: Honorable Mention: Bruce Dearing Writing Competition, Center for Bioethics and Humanities (2004)
- Binghamton University, State University of New York Mens Sana In Corpore Sano: Outstanding Scholar Athlete award (2000)
- Golden Key National Honor Society (2000)
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Daher RJ,Razzano P, Grande DA. Tendon repair augmented via a novel circulating stem cell population.
- New York Society for Surgery of the Hand: Residents & Fellows Night (2009)
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association (Annual Meeting – 2009)
- Daher RJ, Leo AJ, Lane LB. Radiolunate arthritis with scapholunate dissociation without radioscaphoid arthritis.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (Annual Meeting – 2010)
- New York Society for Surgery of the Hand: Residents & Fellows Night (2010)
- Daher RJ, Chahine N, Greenberg A, Sgaglione NA, Grande DA. New methods to diagnose and treat cartilage degeneration. Nature Reviews Rheumatology. 2009 Nov;5(11):599-607.
- Lane LB, Daher RJ, Leo AJ. Radiolunate arthritis with scapholunate dissociation without radioscaphoid arthritis. Journal of Hand Surgery(AM). 2010 Jul;35(7):1075-81.
- Daher RJ. Blind medicine. The Healing Muse. 2004; 4(1): 34-36.
- Daher RJ, Chahine N, Razzano P, Patwa S, Sgaglione N, Grande DA. Tendon repair augmented via a novel circulating stem cell population. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine. 2011;4(3):214-219.
- Dagly KD, Renaldo NJ, Daher RJ, Grande DA, Silber J. Comparison of mesenchymal stem cell yield in rabbit lumbar posterior elements versus iliac crest.
- North American Spine Society (Annual Meeting – 2008)
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association (Annual Meeting – 2008)
- Lane LB, Daher RJ, Leo AJ. Radiolunate arthritis with scapholunate dissociation without radioscaphoid arthritis.
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (Annual Meeting 2010)
- Functional outcomes following open reduction and internal fixation of proximal humerus fractures.
- Coracoid fracture following latarjet failure: a case report.
- Patellar tendon augmentation for chronic dysfunction following failed primary repair: a reconstructive case report
- Can intra-articular growth hormone improve repair tissue quality following marrow stimulation techniques in the management of focal chondral defects?
- Change in driving performance following arthroscopic shoulder surgery
- Patella tendon injuries: a comprehensive review
- Volunteer Track Coach. Corcoran High School, Syracuse, NY (2001-2003)
- Tutor summer anatomy class, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY (2002)
- College of Medicine Admissions Committee, Upstate Medical University,Syracuse, NY (2001-2005)