Edward C. Friedland, MD
Serving Bergen County orthopedic patients, Dr. Edward C. Friedland, MD was born and raised in New York City and graduated from the Bronx High School of Science in 1953. He received his BA from New York University in 1957, and went on to pursue his MD from the State University of New York Downstate Medical Center in 1961. After graduation, Dr. Friedland served a one-year internship at Maimonides Hospital and a one-year general surgical residency at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Brooklyn, NY.
Completing two years of service as a USAF medical officer, Dr. Friedland moved to New Jersey and finished an orthopedic surgical residency at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Paterson. He has been an active practitioner of orthopedic surgery in the Bergen County, NJ area since August 1968.
Dr. Friedland initially practiced in Paterson, joining the staffs of both St. Joseph’s Hospital and Barnert Memorial Hospital. While at Barnert Memorial Hospital, he served as Chairman of the Orthopedic Department, the Hospital Facilities Committee and the Institutional Review Board. He also served on the Tissue Committee. In 1975, he joined the active staff at Bergen County’s Valley Hospital, and the affiliation continues to this day.
During his 35 years on Bergen County’s Valley Hospital team, Dr. Friedland has chaired the Orthopedic Subcommittee on Quality Assurance, the Tissue Committee and the Education Committee, and has served on the Credentials Committee, the Utilization Committee and the DAS/SDS Committee. He currently serves on the Standards Committee.
Dr. Friedland is a board-certified Bergen County orthopedic surgeon who has been practicing for 40+ years. He has been elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and is an active member of the Eastern Orthopedic Association, the New Jersey Orthopedic Society, the American Medical Association and the Bergen County Medical Society.
SPECIALTY: Orthopaedic Surgery
- Academic Degree, A.B. New York University 1957
- Professional Degree, M.D. SUNY Downstate Medical Center 1961
- New Jersey 1965 #20685
- New York 1962 #87792
- California 1963 #G11504
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery – 1/15/70
- U.S. Air Force, 8/1/63 – 7/31/65
- Maimonides Hospital, Brooklyn, NY
- Mixed Medicine, 7/61 – 6/62
- Veterans Administration Hospital, Brooklyn, NY
- General Surgery, 7/62 – 6/63
- St. Joseph’s Hospital, Paterson, NJ
- Orthopaedic Surgery, 8/65 – 7/68
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry, 1970 – 2004
- Valley Hospital, Ridgewood, NJ
- Barnert Memorial Hospital, Paterson, NJ, 8/68-1/08 (hospital closed)
- Chairman, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1974-1975
- University Hospital – New Jersey College of Medicine, 7/85-6/04
MAJOR HOSPITAL COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS
- Valley Hospital, Ridgewood, NJ
- Tissue Committee, 9/78 – 8/87; Chairman, 9/86 – 8/87
- Quality Assurance Committee, 9/87 – 8/89
- Chairman Orthopedic Subcommittee on Quality Assurance, 4/90 – 7/91
- Utilization Committee, 9/81 – 8/83
- DAS/SDS Committee, 1990 – 1996
- Standards Committee, 1996 – present
- Barnert Memorial Hospital, Paterson, NJ
- Chairman Hospital Facilities Committee, 9/70 – 8/80 (approximate)
- Tissue Committee, 9/70 – 8/80 (approximate)
- Chairman Institutional Review Board, 1/88 – 12/01
PEER REVIEW ORGANIZATIONS
- North Jersey Physician Review Organization (Active Member 1998 – 2000)
- Peer Review Organization of New Jersey (Active Member 2000)
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Bergen County Medical Society
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association
- New Jersey Orthopaedic Society
- The Royal Society of Medicine
RESEARCH OR EXPERIMENTAL WORK
- Study on the effects of prophylactic anticoagulation in patients with fractures of the femur.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO LITERATURE
- An unusual case of synovial osteochondromatosis of the ankle.
Military Medicine, December, 1965